Harnessing the Power of STEAM
STEM + Arts = STEAM
In a climate of economic uncertainty, America is once again turning to innovation as the way to ensure a prosperous future. Often, innovation remains tightly coupled with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math - the STEM subjects.
NEW 2017-2018 STEAM Residency Grants
Kansas City Young Audiences (KCYA) and the KC STEM Alliance are pleased to announce that grant funds are available to support a limited number of STEAM Residency programs for elementary school students classrooms implementing Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Launch or other STEM curriculum during the 2017-2018 school year.
Participating Classrooms will receive:
1 Professional Development Seminar on Saturday October 14th from 1:00-4:00 pm
During this hands-on session, classroom teachers will work alongside professional teaching artists. Together you will explore and practice different ways to use the arts to teach STEM lessons. Presenters will include teacher / teaching artist pairs who have participated in previous STEAM residency projects. You will leave this interactive and informative session with specific ideas on how to integrate the arts in the PLTW Launch or other STEM lesson plans.
4 Hours of Planning time with the Teaching Artist and the team
These planning sessions between you, your partner teaching artist, and a KCYA or KC STEM staff member, will help you plan which specific PLTW Launch modules will be taught or reinforced through arts integration.
7 Classroom Visits with the Teaching Artist
Your partner teaching artist will come to class to teach or co-teach with you the specific PLTW Launch lessons you've chosen for integration. These sessions will be customized to your needs, interests, and experience.
1 Exit Interview with Project Evaluator
Teacher and teaching artist will have one final meeting to reflect on the project and assist KC STEM Alliance and KCYA in project evaluation and future planning.
Participating Classroom Teachers
Must have support from the building Principal and commitment from the District
Must be willing to participate and collaborate in the Professional Development Session and Planning Meetings.
Must be willing to assist in pre-and post- evaluations.
KCYA/ KC STEM Alliance STEAM Residency Grant Guidelines
1. The Residency must be associated with a school or school district organization in the five-county metro area (Jackson, Cass, Clay, Platte, MO, Johnson, Wyandotte, KS).
2. This is a competitive grant process – not all programs will be funded. Preference will be given to schools participating in Project Lead the Way Launch curriculum.
3. Application deadline: Friday, September 29, 2017. Submit application form via email to Kara Armstrong, Director of Arts Education, firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 816-531-4022, ext 1011.
4. Grants will be determined by a grants committee; notification made by October 6th, 2017.
5. The Professional Development seminar will be on Saturday, October 14th from 1:00-4:00 pm at KCYA
(3732 Main St., KCMO, 64111)
5. Grant recipients agree to submit data about participants including: demographics (gender, race,) and agree to participate in program evaluation activities including participant surveys.
Download the 2017 STEAM Residency Application Applications are due September 29, 2017.
Together we can spark success in STEM learning through arts integration!
The Kansas City STEAM Initiative is Sponsored By:
Call 816.531.4022 for more information about how you or your school can be a part of the STEAM movement.