The Winter Dance Performance
Performing is an important part of a dancer’s training!
KCYA's process-based classes teach students the fundamentals of the art form. In dance, they may learn ballet positions, proper body alignment, choreography and even terminology. This performance class provides dancers with the opportunity to utilize the skills and talents developed in class in a bigger production, with their classmates, on stage and for an audience. Performing is such an important part of an arts education, we hope your child will join us!
Rehearsals: January 8-25, 2024
Performances: Friday, January 26th at 6:30pm and Saturday, January 27th at 2:00pm at KCYA
Participating Classes: Ballet I, II, III, IV, V, VI, Hip Hop I, II, III; Hip Hop I & II, Hip Hop/Jazz, Dance for Musical Theater, Jazz / Lyrical Combo, Tap/Jazz Combo, Lyrical and Ballroom
*Pre-Ballet and Tiny dance classes will have a sharing on their last day of the regular session.
Registration Fee: $135 - $155 (plus a 4% processing fee). Fees include enrollment, costumes, and 2 complimentary tickets. If your child is enrolled in more than one class, they are invited to perform with each class at no extra charge. *Scholarships are available for those who qualify.
Tickets: Each dancer will receive two complimentary tickets. Additional tickets will be available for purchase.
Deadline: All dancers must be enrolled by November 27th
EARLY ENROLLMENT DISCOUNT: Enroll before November 18th to save 15%! Use code WINTER at checkout!
All Rehearsals and the Performance will be at KCYA
Jan 8-13: Similar to regular class schedule
Jan 15-20: Similar to regular class schedule
FULL CAST REHEARSALS:
Jan 22-24 4:30-7:45pm - On-Stage Rehearsal
Jan 25 4:30-7:45pm – DRESS REHEARSAL at KCYA
(*Please note: dancers may not miss these two final rehearsals and still perform in the show.)
Friday, January 26: 6:30pm Performance
Saturday, January 27: 2:00pm Performance
Conflicts: Please review the rehearsal schedule as soon as possible. We ask that you plan to ensure your dancer can attend all rehearsals. If you know of conflicts with the rehearsal schedule, email LaTeesha Jackson Ljackson@kcya.org before you register. We may be able to accommodate your scheduling conflict.
Illness: Contact the office to report any absences due to illness (816.531.4022).
Costumes and Make-up: There are no additional costume fees; however, each dancer is expected to provide their own basic underpinnings including: camisole/leotard for modesty, tights/bottoms and shoes.
Costumes will be provided by and returned to KCYA and will generally slip on over these base pieces for rehearsals and fittings, so form-fitted pieces are best.
- Light or flesh-tone camisoles are recommended for wearing under costumes.
- Hair should be pulled back in a ponytail, pigtails or ballet bun which will be determined by your teacher. An email with more information will be sent closer to the show date.
- Make-up is not provided or recommended for our dancers, but natural light foundation, blush or lipstick can be worn at your discretion.
- Fingernail polish should be removed for dress rehearsal and performance.
- Dancers should arrive prepared in underpinnings with hair and make-up (optional) completed.
Costume Basics: Dancers should wear these items for all rehearsals and performances:
Ballet I, II, III, IV, V, VI, Lyrical,
- Females: pink (or flesh colored) footed tights and pink ballet slippers, pink or flesh colored camisole leotard
- Males: black leggings or pants, black socks, black ballet slippers
Tap/Jazz Combo I
- Females: black footed tights, black camisole leotard, black tap shoes
- Males: black leggings or pants, black socks, black tap shoes
Hip Hop I, II, III; Hip Hop I & II, Hip Hop/Jazz; Dance for Musical Theater,
- Females: black pants or leggings, black camisole/tank or leotard, black socks, black sneakers
- Males: black pants, leggings, black t-shirt, black socks, black sneakers
Looking for a flesh colored leotard or other dance attire?
Parent Volunteers: Performances like this require logistical support (and more!) from parents. We will be asking for some parent volunteers as we get into January. Please know your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Performance photos & videos: Professional photos of the dancers and a video of the performance may be available after the show. TBD
Questions: We understand many new dance families will have additional questions. Please stop by the office or email LaTeesha at Ljackson@kcya.org.
*EARLY ENROLLMENT DISCOUNT: Enroll before November 18th to save 15%! Use code WINTER at checkout!
All enrollments are processed online through Active Camp and Class Manager. There is a small (4%) fee added to the class costs to cover part of the administration fees.