Harnessing the Power of STEAM
STEM + Arts = STEAM
In a climate of economic uncertainty, America is once again turning to innovation as the way to ensure a prosperous future. Often, innovation remains tightly coupled with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math - the STEM subjects.
However, Art + Design are equally poised to transform our economy in the 21st century. Adding Art + Design to the equation transforms STEM into STEAM and leverages the inherent creativity needed to drive innovation.
NEW SUMMER 2017 STEAM Enrichment Grants
Kansas City Young Audiences (KCYA) and the KC STEM Alliance are pleased to announce that grant funds are available to support a limited number of STEAM summer enrichment programs targeting elementary school students in the KC metro region. Grant requests may be made for up to $2,500 per program and are intended to assist teachers in implementing arts integrated STEM programming in their Summer School classrooms.
KCYA/ KC STEM Alliance Summer STEAM Enrichment Grant Guidelines
1. The summer program must be associated with a school or school district organization in the five-county metro area (Jackson, Cass, Clay, Platte, MO, Johnson, Wyandotte, KS).
2. This is a competitive grant process – not all programs will be funded. Preference will be given to schools participating in Project Lead the Way LAUNCH curriculum.
3. Application deadline: Friday, April 28, 2017. Submit application form and budget (how you will spend the money) by email to Kara Armstrong, Director of Arts Education, email@example.com. Phone: 816-531-4022.
4. Grants will be determined by a grants committee; notification made by May 15, 2017.
5. Grant recipients agree to submit data about participants including: demographics (gender, race,) and agree to participate in program evaluation activities including participant surveys.
Download the Summer 2017 STEAM Residency Grant Application Applications are due April 28, 2017.
These strategies include:
- Advocacy to integrate Art + Design into the STEM conversation and conversely to integrate STEM into Arts and Arts Education policy.
- Support for nationally recognized K-12 education curriculum that integrates a holistic approach to teaching the arts and STEM, like the Project Lead the Way Launch elementary program, and
- Targeted professional development that encourages systemic change in the way teachers integrate the arts into STEM subjects to inspire creative, interactive and engaging learning environments.
We began our pilot program in three classrooms across the community. We paired a classroom teacher, his or her class, and a professional teaching artist for a semester long partnership to assist in the implementation of the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) LAUNCH curriculum. After completing the professional development and planning meetings, the teaching artist visited each classroom throughout the semester to lead or co-lead the specific lessons.
Phase III will be implemented in Fall 2017 - new grants will be awarded in late Summer.
Together we can spark success in STEM learning through arts integration!
The Kansas City STEAM Initiative is Sponsored By:
Call 816.531.4022 for more information about how you or your school can be a part of the STEAM movement.