Development Assistant - Full Time
Classification: Full time, non-exempt
Location: 3732 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111
Reports to: Director of Development
Organization & Position Overview
Kansas City Young Audiences (KCYA) is one of the largest arts education providers in the region with a mission to: engage all youth in the arts, promote creativity and inspire success in education. KCYA believes that every child deserves the transformational spark the arts ignite. Through interactive workshops, residencies, performances and professional development, KCYA programs strengthen a child’s understanding of necessary educational concepts and teach educators how to successfully integrate the arts into core educational subjects.
The KCYA Development Assistant is an integral part of the team who supports development activities including: donor records/database management, gift acknowledgements, grants and assisting with special events for community outreach. This position is 35-40 hours weekly, non-exempt. The Development Assistant reports directly to the Director of Development. In addition to development activities, he or she would support volunteer and community outreach, marketing activities, and logistics for agency fundraising events. Position requires schedule flexibility to meet the expectations of the job, including occasional evenings and weekends to participate in KCYA special events, meeting with constituents, etc.
The Development Assistant would spend approximately 80% of their time on clerical and computer work (including database management) and grant work.
- Perform regular data entry, process, and acknowledge all gifts received in a timely and accurate manner
- Maintain constituent records
- Create and manage lists for Annual Solicitation and other Development mailings
- Assist with preparing and mailing fundraising appeals
- Assist with Grant proposals, reporting and prospect research
- Maintain and monitor the grants calendar
- Attend and take minutes for monthly KCYA Board Meetings
The Development Assistant would spend approximately 20% of their time on Special Event work as follows:
- Help plan, coordinate, and implement logistics for events across the organization (annual event, open house, etc.)
- Work with KCYA Staff to identify needs, recruit, and support event volunteers
- Monitor event budgets and other metrics (including attendance), and prepare reconciliation reports
Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. KCYA is dedicated to fostering an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace. If your past experience does not align perfectly but you are excited about this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Education: At least two years of college or relevant work experience. Degree in Communication, Marketing, English, or arts-related field is preferred.
- Prior database management experience and experience using reporting tools to research and create reports as requested in fundraising software/CRM
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with strong project management skills; able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly and manage time effectively
- Strong self-motivation with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances
- Ability to communicate the mission and vision of Kansas City Young Audiences and a passion for arts education
- Experience with Abila Fundraising 50 or another CRM fundraising database software
- Experience with editing and proofreading
- Experience with online fundraising methods and platforms
- Excellent research skills
- Experience with special events and/or project management
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time hourly position ranging from $31,000 to $36,000 annually (commensurate with experience).
- Employer-Provided Health Plan
- Employer match 401 (k) Retirement Plan
- Paid holidays and paid personal days
Please send cover letter (include compensation requirements), resume, and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com. Position open until filled, preference given to applications received by December 18, 2022. No phone calls please.
KCYA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.