The Spring Dance Performance:
KCYA's process-based classes teach students the fundamentals of the art form. In dance, they may learn ballet positions, proper body alignment, choreography and even terminology. This spring performance class provides dancers with the opportunity to utilize the skills and talents developed in class in a bigger production, with their classmates, on stage and for an audience. Performing is such an important part of an arts education, we hope your child will join us!
Rehearsals: May 15-31, 2023
Performance: Thursday, June 1st at 6:30pm at Paseo Academy of Fine & Performing Arts
Participating Classes: Ballet I, II, III, IV, V, VI, Hip Hop I, II, III; Hip Hop I & II, Hip Hop/Jazz; Dance for Musical Theater, Latest Dance Craze, Tap/Jazz Combo I-III, Lyrical, Main Street Ballet
Registration Fee: $145 - $165 (plus a 4% processing fee). Fees include enrollment, costumes, show t-shirt, and 2 complimentary tickets. If your child is enrolled in more than one class, they are invited to perform with each class at no extra charge. *Scholarships are available for those who qualify.
Tickets: Each dancer will receive two complimentary tickets. Additional tickets may be purchased.
T-shirts: One show t-shirt is included in the enrollment fee; additional shirts will be available for advanced purchase (for $15) at enrollment time or by contacting the CSA team at email@example.com by April 22nd.
Deadline:. All dancers must be enrolled by April 22nd! DEADLINE EXTENDED until May 6th!
Rehearsals at KCYA & Paseo Academy:
May 15-20: Similar to regular class schedule at KCYA.
May 22-27: Similar to regular class schedule at KCYA.
May 29: Memorial Day - no rehearsal
*May 30: 4:30-7:30pm - On-Stage Rehearsal at Paseo Academy
*May 31: 4:30-7:30pm Dress Rehearsal at Paseo Academy
(*Please note: dancers may not miss these two final rehearsals and still perform in the show.)
Thursday, June 1: Performance at Paseo Academy
Conflicts: Please review the rehearsal schedule as soon as possible. We ask that you plan to ensure your dancer can attend all rehearsals. If you know of conflicts with the rehearsal schedule, email CPeacock@kcya.org before you register. We may be able to accommodate your scheduling conflict.
Illness: Contact the office to report any absences due to illness (816.531.4022).
Parent Volunteers: At least one parent volunteer will be needed for each class. The volunteer will assist with costume fittings and supervision of the dancers at rehearsals and during the performance. Volunteers will be able to watch the show with the dancers. A link to sign up will be emailed soon.
Costumes and Make-up: There are no additional costume fees; however, each dancer is expected to provide their own basic underpinnings including: camisole/leotard for modesty, tights/bottoms and shoes.
Costumes will be provided by and returned to KCYA and will generally slip on over these base pieces for rehearsals and fittings, so form-fitted pieces are best.
- Light or flesh-tone camisoles are recommended for wearing under costumes.
- Hair should be pulled back in a ponytail, pigtails or ballet bun which will be determined by your teacher. An email with more information will be sent closer to the show date.
- Make-up is not provided or recommended for our dancers, but natural light foundation, blush or lipstick can be worn at your discretion.
- Fingernail polish should be removed for dress rehearsal and performance.
- Dancers should arrive with their hair and make-up completed.
Costume Basics: Dancers should wear these items for all rehearsals and performances:
Ballet I, II, III, IV, V, VI, Lyrical, Main Street
- Females: pink (or flesh colored) footed tights and pink ballet slippers, pink or flesh colored camisole leotard
- Males: black leggings or pants, black socks, black ballet slippers
Tap/Jazz Combo I-III
- Females: black footed tights, black camisole leotard, black tap shoes
- Males: black leggings or pants, black socks, black tap shoes
Hip Hop I, II, III; Hip Hop I & II, Hip Hop/Jazz; Dance for Musical Theater, Latest Dance Craze
- Females: black pants or leggings, black camisole/tank or leotard, black socks, black sneakers
- Males: black pants, leggings, black t-shirt, black socks, black sneakers
Looking for a flesh colored leotard or other dance attire?
Performance photos & videos: Professional photos of the dancers and a video of the performance may be available after the show. TBD
Questions: We understand many new dance families will have additional questions. Please stop by the office or email LaTeesha at Ljackson@kcya.org.
All enrollments are processed online through Active Camp and Class Manager. There is a small (4%) fee added to the class costs to cover part of the administration fees.