Enrollment Information & FAQ
Safety Measures for In Person Classes
- Classes will be held in person.
- Masks will be optional, recommended or required, depending upon the current level of Covid Community Spread. Check here for our current status: https://kcya.org/full_content.php?article_id=629&full=yes&pbr=1
- Read our complete Covid Safety Protocols here
CSA Session Dates
- Fall 2022: September 6 - December 10, 2022
- 10/15: KC Marathon = No CSA Class = make up on Sat 12/17
- 11/21: Monday classes meet = make up for Mon 9/5
- 11/22-11/26: Thanksgiving Break = No CSA Class (except for Monday)
- 12/17: Make up class for 10/15 KC Marathon
- January 2023
- 1/2 - 1/21: Winter HASF Theatre Collaboration
- 1/9 - 1/26: Winter Dance Performance
- Spring 2023: January 30 - May 6, 2023
- 3/13 - 3/17 Spring Break Camp
- 3/13 - 3/17 Spring Break Camp
Private lessons begin when arranged with Teaching Artist
Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 7:30pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 12:00pm
The Business Office is open Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
Call LaTeesha Jackson, CSA Coordinator at 816.531.4022 with any questions.
- All camps are held at KCYA: 3732 Main Street, KC, MO 64111
- All summer camps meet Monday-Friday (except the week of July 4th)
- Camp begins at 8:30, campers may begin arriving at 8:00am
- Campers need to be picked up no later than 10 minutes after the end of camp (12:00 for half day camps, 4:00 for full day camps)
- Extended Daycare is available until 5:30pm for an additional fee
- All campers should bring a waterbottle
- Full day campers must bring a lunch (this includes campers attending 2 half-day camps)
- AM and PM snacks are provided
- All campers recieve a t-shirt
- Most Camps conclude with an end of the week camp performance on Friday. Specific information will be distributed on the first day of the camp.
All enrollments are processed online through Active Camp and Class Manager. There is a small (4%) fee added to the class costs to cover part of the administration fees.
Who should I talk to about enrolling in a class?
Enollments are processed online. If you have questions, please call LaTeesha Jackson at 816.531.4022.
Private instruction is offered through a number of fabulous teaching artists who you should contact directly.
Where are the CSA classes held?
All classes are held at 3732 Main St., Kansas City, Missouri 64111
Where do we park?
All KCYA families are encouraged to park in our lot (3732 Main St.) if space is available. If the KCYA lot is full, you may park across the street at Pirate's Bone Burgers (3731 Main Street) and use the crosswalk at 37th Street. After 5pm or on weekends you may also park at The Whole Person (3710 Main St.).
Student Drop off and Pick up Policy
- Students can either walk themselves or be escorted by a parent/guardian to the building entrance.
- Students may go directly to their class or, if early, may wait in the Family Lounge. Parents/guardians may wait inside until class dismissal.
- Students may arrive as early as 10 minutes before their class start time.
- Parents/guardians of children ages up to 10 years should be near the classroom door at dismissal time to escort your student out of the building.
- Parents/guardians of children 11 and older may meet near the classroom door, in the Family Lounge, at the building entrance/exit, or you may choose to meet your child in the parking lot at dismissal time. Please make sure your child knows where to meet you. For their safety, students will not be allowed to wait outside.
- Students must be picked up within ten minutes of their class ending time. If you know you will be late, please give us a call.
- KCYA staff will be at the entrance/exit of the building to assist students as needed.
Discounts and Special Offers
- NEW! EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT: Enroll before 8/15 to save 15% on your class or camp fees for summer 2022.
Use code: Early23 at checkout.
- MULTI-CLASS OR MULTI-CHILD DISCOUNT: enroll in more than one class and receive 10% off your second class. (Two classes or two children must be enrolled in the same transaction.)
Use code: multi23 at checkout.
- REFER A FRIEND DISCOUNT: Referee will receive $20 off their first class and must give name of the person who made the referral. The person who made the referal will receive $10 off their next class. Discount codes are required, please call to confirm your refer a friend discount.
Kansas City Young Audiences Community School of the Arts believes that all children deserve access to the arts. Visit our Scholarship page for more information. Limited Scholarships are available for each program. Learn more.
Group classes may be paid in full at time of enrollment or may be paid in three installments with the first installment due at the time of enrollment.
Private Instruction may be arranged directly with Teaching Artists. Fees and payment arrangements are based on individual artist's policies.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
All CSA group classes require a minimum of 5 student enrollments. Should the minimum number of students not be reached, class will be cancelled and a refund will be issued. Enroll early and tell a friend to help ensure that all classes make!
If you withdraw your child from a class prior to the first day of class your tuition will be refunded less a $10 processing fee per course. No refunds will be given after the second class, except for medical reasons; submitted in writing.
**Special Circumstances - Coronavirus**
We will continue to monitor developments, and will act and communicate based on the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and appropriate state, county and local authorities. Should school closures and activity cancellations become necessary, KCYA may align itself with the decisions of Kansas City Public School District, as we are located in that district.
Should CSA close, you will be eligible to have a credit posted to your account equal to the prorated cost of cancelled classes or camps for which you have paid. Should you require a refund, KCYA will refund the prorated cost of cancelled classes for which you have paid within four weeks of your written request. All credit and refund requests must be submitted in writing. Families who still have a balance for CSA classes, please contact KCYA for assistance.
Additional KCYA-hosted events or activities (showcases, performance, etc.) may be subject to cancellation based on the guidance of appropriate state, county and local authorities.
Late Enrollments & Pro-rated Fees
We encourage you to enroll prior to the first day of class. However, we will do our best to accommodate late enrollments and to pro-rate the fees accordingly. Any enrollment after the fourth week of the session requires the teaching artists approval.
Enrollments for private instruction lessons must be arranged through the Teaching Artist.
On inclement weather days, a decision may need to be made to cancel classes. We will make that decision by 2:00pm on weekdays or by 8:00am on Saturdays. We also reserve the right to cancel classes later than that if the weather conditions worsen. You may call the office at 816.531.4022, check our website homepage: www.kcya.org or visit our Facebook page for the latest information.
We have reserved the week after the final week of the Session for make-up classes.
Community School of the Arts policy (based on CDC recommendations) requires a child stay home if he or she has:
- Has a fever of 100.4 or higher
- Has been vomiting or has diarrhea (within 24 hrs)
- Sore throat if you suspect a strep infection, even if there is not fever.
- Drainage from an ear or eye (may indicate infection)
- Severe cough that may be uncontrollable.
- Frequent sneezing and coughing. This spreads sickness to others.
24 Hour Rule:
- Fever: Keep your child home until his or her FEVER has gone WITHOUT medicine for 24 hours. Colds can be contagious for at least 48 hours. Returning to school too soon may slow recovery and make others sick.
- Vomiting or Diarrhea: Keep your child home for 24 hours after last time he or she vomited or had diarrhea.
- Antibiotics: Keep your child home until 24 hours after the First dose of antibiotic for anything like ear infection, strep, or pneumonia.
Please consult your doctor promptly if there is any doubt about the condition of your child. Follow the directions from your child’s physician or school nurse before sending your child back to school or other activities following a communicable disease. Whenever possible, KCYA will notify parents of a communicable disease incidence as appropriate.
Missing Classes or Lessons
Please call 816.531.4022 to report an absence. Sorry, there are no make-ups for group classes, except for those classes we cancel due to weather. Some dance and acting class students may be able to make up a missed class by attending a similar class or a class one level lower than their current class.
- Typically, each group class will participate in an end of session (in-class) demonstration during the final week of class.
- Student Recitals: Private instruction teaching artists will communicate with you about student recital opportunities.
- Typically, we host two dance performances and two theatre performances each year.
CSA Special Events
We host a number of special events like Student Showcases, Dance Performances, Theatre Performances etc. See upcoming Special Events here.
We use email to communicate information about classes, camps, special events, performance opportunities. Sign up (in the footer at the bottom of this page) to receive our emails so you're always in the know. Like us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
CSA Dance Class Attire
Pre-Ballet and Ballet I-VI Classes: Ladies: solid color leotard, pink tights and pink leather ballet slippers. Hair must be pulled away from the face in a bun or ponytail. Please bring rubber hair bands and barrettes to each class.
Gentlemen: T-shirt, black leggings or bike shorts, and white or black leather ballet slippers.
Hip Hop: Loose fitting clothes and bare feet or sneakers that are only worn for Hip Hop class. (Please, no street shoes in the dance studios.)
Jazz, Lyrical, Modern, Dance for Musical Theatre, LDC, Teen/Tween Ballet: Loose fitting clothes or leotard and jazz pants with jazz shoes or ballet slippers. Hair in ponytail.
Parent and Me Pre-Ballet, Tiny Creative Movement: Adults in Parent & Me class should wear comfortable clothes and socks or bare feet. No leotards required. Children can wear comfortable clothes and bare feet or the same attire as Pre-Ballet.
Tap/Jazz: Loose fitting clothes or leotard and jazz pants (Gentlemen: t-shirt, black leggings or bike shorts) All dancers will need tap shoes and/or jazz shoes or ballet slippers. Hair must be pulled away from face in a bun or ponytail. Please bring rubber bands and barrettes to each class.
Dance Shoes should never be worn outside, only in the Dance Studio. Street shoes are not allowed on the dance floor.
Dance attire may be purchased online at https://www.discountdance.com/teacher_search.php. Use the Studio/Teacher ID# TP48802. We'll earn points towards new costumes and other dance supplies when you shop here. And with the ID# you can get 10% off your first purchase!
Please email Miss Kim Shope, Dance Department Chair with any specific questions.